Sunday, May 3, 2009

Eleventh Group Run

It was back to Hingham this week for our 11th group run. Chris and I were scheduled to run 15 miles, and I was a bit nervous. Every week now, I have to run further than I've ever run before! On top of that, we didn't finish our our 14-mile run last week. On top of THAT, I hadn't slept well the night before, because I stupidly had an iced coffee late at night. Plus, there was a bird chirping outside the window ALL NIGHT LONG. Aren't non-owl birds supposed to be asleep at night?

Anyway, I woke up at 7:oo am yesterday and had a yogurt and a piece of toast with butter and headed out the door. Forgot to bring anything to eat on the run. It was cool and cloudy, so a few of us wore jackets, but ditched them at the first water stop because we were all plenty warm by then. Just about as soon as we started, I realized that although it was cool, it was a little on the humid side. Still, not bad running weather.

We took a different route this time, down Rte. 53 to Weymouth and onto Broad and then Commercial St., and back. The run was pretty uneventful for me, which I find somewhat amazing. I mean, hello? 15 miles! I'm pretty proud of myself.

The only problems I faced were aching knees by the 12th or 13th mile, and of course CRAZY HUNGER. Somewhere around the half-way mark, I noticed I was starving. I tried to ignore it at first, but at the end, my stomach was actually hurting from being empty, and I was starting to feel a teensy bit woozy! As soon as I stopped running, though, the pain in my stomach went away and I didn't feel like I had to eat immediately. I waited for Chris to catch up and we went to a Dunks drive-thru for brunch (it was 12:30 or so by then). Kristen estimated that we burned some crazy amount of calories during the run (1,700? I forget, and I'm too lazy to try to figure it out myself), so I didn't feel at all guilty about ordering myself a bagel AND a donut.

2 comments:

DiDi said...

Congrats on the 15 miles!!! You guys rule!

Kathleen said...

ahahaha. that picture of chris drinking the baby marg is awesome.

you should bring some of those cookies as a raffle prize for full moon madness this week

also, i just look up on gyminee.com how much I'D burn on a 15 mile run in 3 hours and it said i burned 1800 calories! that's nutso-butso